I have just received my NAS, which is a Synology DS413j, together with 3 HDS724040ALE640 4 TB hard drives. After unpacking everything, the first task was to mount the disk. This was very easy, without any guide. Next I connected the Synology to my router and powered it up. Synology suggested too locate it with find.synology.com. Though it was not able to find it on my network, so I used nmap, and few seconds later I new the IP address. 2 seconds later I was connected, and running the introductive guide. I choose to select a Synology Hybrid RAID, with 1 disk protection, giving me in all 7,15 TB. And the possibility to extend it later by a disk more if needed. While it creating the filesystem, and doing the parity consistency check, I started with this post, for planning the setup. I am thinking I will do the following task.
- Run badblocks on the disks. Even though the disks are new, I prefer to test them before trusting them with data. As DSM is using a Linux, it should be possible to run badblocks on all the disks. So figure out how to do this.
- Create personal user accounts. Right know I only need two.
- Create minimum two shares, named Backup and Archive. Share them by CIFS (Windows) internal only.
- Setup time machine from my mac. I will use the NAS for backup from my mac, so it means to set it up as a time machine. Destination would be be the backup share.
- Setup SSH server to only allow keys, and connect to my router so I can access SSH from work. I will use sshfs off cause for accessing data.
Please do comments, if you have any Ideas for what I need to do with the NAS for getting the most out of it.